December 12, 2007

seaside story


i watched her feet

as they splashed about in the water
and left prints in the wet sand
as she ran around

she jumped about in glee
an innocent smile lighting up her face
and i was rooted to the spot
i could have died then, and felt nothing

and then she sat down
a child making sand castles
with every careful pat of her hands
i could feel my dreams taking shape

she did a dance of joy
when the castle was complete
and i felt the waves
following the beat of her feet

i was woken out of this reverie
with a splash of water in my face
and before i could open my eyes
she gave me a kiss and ran away

i gave her a chase into the sunset
she, with her hair flying behind her
with a few strands sticking to her face
and glistening red with her

i finally caught up with her
held her in an embrace
and smelt the sand and the sea
as i buried my face in her hair

the sands slipped out of my hand
but she held the other
and that was all that mattered
her hand in mine

i held her close
and the din of the waves died out
the shifting sands under my feet
turned rock-solid

the sea, the sun, the sand
the wind, the water and the light
nothing, there was nothing
she was my everything

that evening, as i lay there
with my head in her lap
gazing out into the horizon
as the sea ate up the sun
i could see people watching the sun set
while i watched my star shining

and i realized
i loved her, and loved her
with every shred of my existence