August 7, 2007

probably

there's a quantitative techniques course here that's known to strike fear in every student - even people with engineering background. deals mostly with probability and decision theory. and the prof has a tendency to formulate every problem in terms of urns and balls - a formulation which gets confusing as the number of possible variations increase.

whatever. we had a test of this subject on thursday. three problems and one and a half hours. it's as if the prof dares you to solve the sums! i walked out in half an hour. now, this got interpreted in various ways. most people assumed that i'd solved all the problems - and done so accurately and correctly. given my maths background [**sad nod of head **], they came to the conclusion that it must have been a cakewalk for me and that i walked out in so short a time just to make others feel worse.

my depmates of my earlier college will attest to my mathematical prowess [:P] - especially the way we crammed and mugged the night before the exams. it's a tale punctuated with C's and D's. i had three courses on probability - basic probability and statistics, queuing theory and decision theory - and i scored a D in all three of them [:D]!!

why then did i walk out after just one-third of the allotted time? yes, i attempted all three. i just went with the first approach that struck me. and knowing myself, i was aware of the fact that nothing new is going to come to me even if i sit there for three hours. so i didn't see any good in bruising my bum and i decided to exit.

the marks are yet to come. i hope my score dispels some of the wrong perceptions that people have about me [:)]!

and just to reiterate - i hate probability.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

inshallah u will do well .. and which institute do u inhabit now?

naween said...

@ramesh

thanks [:P]! it's XLRI [:)]...

Sunny said...

Mez waiting to see the other half of this post [:D]

Especially the episode where the prof tries to catch the student's eye before making his move [:D]

naween said...

@sunny

haan, haan, zaroor zaroor!!